Causes of High Potassium
High levels of potassium in blood cause a condition known as hyperkalemia. A kidney disorder is the major cause of this condition. Read the article to learn about the various other causes of high potassium levels in blood...Potassium is an essential mineral required for proper development and functioning of the body. Potassium helps in regulating tissues of the muscles, supports the digestion process, maintains balance between the various chemical processes and is also involved in the metabolism process. The most important function of potassium is to maintain a proper heart beat and prevent occurrence of any heart diseases.
Anything in excess is not good, and the same holds for potassium. High potassium levels in humans lead to a disease called hyperkalemia. More often than not, the inability of kidneys to effectively filter out potassium from blood, is one of the major causes of high potassium in blood.
What Causes High Levels of Potassium in Blood
The following are some of the common causes of high potassium levels in blood:
The adrenal glands which are located next to the kidneys, secrete a hormone aldostrone, which makes the kidneys excrete potassium through urine. Thus, any adrenal dysfunction can be a cause of high potassium levels in the body. Addison's disease, is a common ailment which can cause an adrenal malfunction.
High potassium levels are mostly a result of a kidney damage or any form of kidney diseases, as kidneys are responsible for letting out the potassium from the body through urine. Chronic renal failure, lupus nephritis and transplant rejections are usual causes of kidney damage subsequently causing high potassium levels in blood. An alteration in the dialysis treatment for kidney patients can cause high levels of potassium in the body and also increase chances of a heart attack.
Causes of High Potassium High levels of potassium in blood cause a condition known as hyperkalemia. A kidney disorder is the major cause of...
LETTERS Kidney Warning (1 Letter) Published: August 13, 2012 To the Editor: Re “Transplant Centers Struggle With Donors’ Obesity” (Aug...
April is National Donate Life Month, and if you're thinking about donating a kidney, now would be the time to find out what it's all...
UCSF unveils model for implantable artificial kidney to replace dialysis UCSF researchers today unveiled a prototype model of the first i...
DR. GABRIEL VALLE CHOSEN TO EXCLUSIVE "BEST DOCTORS" PANEL OFFERING PATIENTS AROUND THE WORLD VIDEO ACCESS, ALONG WITH THEIR OWN DOCTORS, TO THE COUNTRY'S BEST IN THEIR FIELDS.THE KIDNEY GROUP'S DR. GABRIEL VALLE HAS BEEN CHOSEN AGAIN TO "BEST DOCTORS" WHICH IS A WORLD CLASS PANEL OF EXPERTS, CHOSEN B...
Several patients have called, alarmed with news reports that patients with #kidney stones face a higher incidence of end stage renal disease...
You can't have a healthy heart without healthy blood pressure, so see your doctor or health-care professional for a reading. An accurate...
There's a dangerous health problem on the rise in the United States, affecting more than 20 million adults—25 percent more than a decade...
10 Facts (And Myths) About Lupus Lupus is a chronic, autoimmune disease that can damage any part of the body (skin, joints, and/or organ...
Elizabeth Perkins Biography Claim to Fame: Actress DOB: November 18, 1960 Diabetes Type: 1 Quote: “I’m actually a happier person than ...
- "Kindest Cut" New Yorker 2009
- 10 TIPS FOR A HEALTHY BLOOD PRESSURE
- A Diet That Works For Both Hypertension and Gout
- A Heartfelt Thank You
- AJKD ARTICLE ON HYPERTENSION IN DIALYSIS PATIENTS
- ALL ABOUT CKD
- All About Potassium
- An Inspiration to Patients Awaiting Transplant
- Barbara Kissane Valle
- Becoming An Organ Donor Impacts Many Lives
- Being on multiple transplant lists makes sense
- BEJAR IPMC MVP CANDIDATE
- Broccoli For Preventing Hypertension
- Captain Ladino sent to Kosovo
- CARLOS BEJAR M.D. OF THE KIDNEY GROUP DISCUSSES PREVENTING DIABETIC KIDNEY DISEASE
- CDC Answers Questions on Ebola Safety
- Charlie debuts at the Kidney Group
- Cheetos lip balm curbing cravings?
- Common High Potassium Foods
- Control your Blood Pressure Naturally
- Cranberry juice and UTI
- DANGERS OF VARIABLE BP
- David Kessler's book on" Junk Food Epidemic"
- DEATH OF DR. ROBERT GERONEMUS LEAVES VOID
- DEATH OF THOMAS HERRION RAISING QUESTIONS
- DEFINING HEMATURIA
- DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES TACKLES ESRD
- Determining Your Ideal Weight
- DIABETES MANAGEMENT IS KEY
- DIABETES MYTH #1
- Diabetes Tsunami
- Dialysis Catheters Increase Risk of Death
- dIALYSIS PATIENT STILL RACING HORSES
- DID CELEBRITY GET NATALIE COLE HER QUICK KIDNEY?
- DIET CAN LOWER YOUR RISK OF DIABETES
- DR OZ ON KIDNEY DISEASE
- Dr. Bejar's new puppy
- Dr. Carlos Bejar
- Dr. Gabriel Valle and Dr. Carlos Bejar named Best Kidney Doctors in Palm Beach County
- Dr. Gabriel Valle and Dr. Carlos Bejar Named Top Doctors in Nephrology and Hypertension for 15th year in a Row
- DR. GABRIEL VALLE CHOSEN "BEST DOCTOR" AGAIN FOR 2011.
- DR. GABRIEL VALLE DISCUSSES FUTURE HOPE IN CKD
- Dr. Gabriel Valle has first patient accepted into Paired Donor Program at UM
- DR. GABRIEL VALLE NAMED TOP NEPHROLOGIST BY BOCA LIFE MAGAZINE
- Dr. Jorge Ajuria is now a Fellow of the American Society of Nephrology
- Dr. Marco Ladino joins KidneyWorld Editorial Board
- ELEVATED BLOOD PRESSURE LEADING CAUSE OF EARLY DEATH
- EXPANDED DONOR CHOICES
- Expert Care
- FACE IT-WE'RE FAT
- Facebook for Kidney patients en Espanol
- FERNANDA'S OWNER HAS KIDNEY TRANSPLANT
- FIGURE OUT YOUR KIDNEY RISK
- Follow the most popular Kidney Medicine practice on Facebook
- Fort Lauderdale's Kidney Group leads state in # of kidney transplants
- FRIEND DONATES KIDNEY TO LOCAL WOMAN
- Gabriel Valle M.D. Now Fellow of the ASH
- GEORGE LOPEZ TRANSPLANT PART OF A GROWING TREND
- He Got the Kidney
- High Potassium
- HISTORY OF CANCER DOES N'T PRECLUDE TRANSPLANT
- HOME DIALYSIS OPTIONS
- How Does The Kidney & Hypertension Group Transplant So Many Patients?
- How To Prevent Kidney Stones
- IMPC MVP
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON PHOSPHORUS
- Improving Kidney Health at the KHG
- Infertility and Hypertension Link
- INSIDER TIPS ON GETTING A KIDNEY TRANSPLANT
- Insiders Tips on Getting a Kidney Transplant
- Juliette Valle is Miss Broward County's Outstanding Teen 2016
- KEEP YOUR KIDNEYS WORKING WELL
- Keep Your Potassium In The Normal Range With These Tips
- Kidney & Hypertension Group In Fort Lauderdale Voted Florida's Best Again
- Kidney and Hypertension Group has Florida's top Home Dialysis Program
- KIDNEY COSTS WILL CONTINUE TO SOAR
- KIDNEY DIVORCE WAR HEATS UP
- Kidney Docs Tell You 3 Easy Ways To PREVENT Kidney Stones
- Kidney Doctors Offer Same Dat Appointment
- KIDNEY GROUP DEBATES KIDNEY RATIONING
- KIDNEY GROUP KIDNEY-PANCREAS PATIENT WINS OLYMPIC GOLD
- KIDNEY GROUP PATIENT WINS GOLD AT TRANSPLANT OLYMPICS
- KIDNEY TRANSPLANT:THE KINDNESS OF STRANGERS
- Learn how to keep your kidneys healthy for life
- LETS TALK ABOUT A KIDNEY TRANSPLANT
- Lipid Management In Kidney Disease-New Guidelines
- Living Successfully With HIV and Kidney Disease
- LIVING WITH POLYCYSTIC KIDNEY DISEASE IN 2008
- LOOKING OUT FOR KIDNEY PATIENTS IN THE PANDEMIC THREAT
- Love is good for you
- LOWER YOUR BLOOD PRESSSURE WITHOUT DRUGS
- MAKE YOUR OWN LUCK IN GETTING A TRANSPLANT
- Marco Ladino of The Kidney Group in Fort Lauderdale wins award from Florida Society of Nephrology
- Meet Dr
- Minimize Your Radiation Exposure During Pre Transplant Workup
- More Kidney Transplant Success Stories at The Kidney and Hypertension Group of South Florida
- NEPHROLOGIST GIVES KIDNEY TO WIFE
- Never mind your sign..what's your BUN?
- NO CLENCHED FISTS
- NOBODY KEEPS BABY IN A CHAIR
- Number 1 of the 6 Phases of Successful Weight Loss
- Our first kidney transplant of 2012
- PATIENTS CAN PREVENT MED ERRORS
- Peritoneal Dialysi patient loses 90 lbs in 6 weeks
- PERITONEAL DIALYSIS MAKES SENSE FOR MANY KIDNEY FAILURE PATIENTS
- Plans for Artificial Kidney Unveiled
- PREDICTING ODDS OF TRANSPLANT SUCCESS
- PREGNANCY IN CHRONIC KIDNEY DISEASE-A REVIEW
- Preserving Residual Renal Function In Dialysis Patients
- PREVENTING DIABETES
- PREVENTING FALSELY ELEVATED POTASSIUM LEVELS
- Preventing Kidney Disease
- Prevention Of Kidney Disease Through Drinking More Water-A Study
- Professor Gabriel Valle Greets His Students
- Quality in Dialysis
- Rapheal Baez
- Rapid Response Clinic at the Kidney and Hypertension Group decreases hospital admissions and ER visits
- reachs pre-transplant weight goal
- RESTLESS LEGS SYNDROME
- Seeing a Nephrologist Early in The Course Of Kidney Disease Improves Outcomes
- SHALL WE ?
- SODIUM BICARB UPDATE FROM JASN
- STOP HYPERTENSION BEFORE IT STOPS YOU
- Stop today and think about your kidneys
- Taking A Correct Home Blood Pressure Reading
- Tenofovir Use and the Kidney
- THE FIRST TRANSPLANT-A BRAVE TWIN BROTHER DONATES
- The Health Ranger speaks out on Vitamin D
- The Kidney & Hypertension Group Doubled It's Office Space In Fort Lauderdale To Meet Patient Demand
- The Kidney and Hypertension Group is Named Top U.S. Hypertension Center
- The Kidney And Hypertension Group Now Offers Same Day Appointments For Urgent Care
- The Kidney Group Again Named Best Nephrologists in Broward County
- THE KIDNEY GROUP OF SOUTH FLORIDAS DOCTORS ALL CHOSEN AS TOP PHYSICIANS
- The Kidney Group-Florida's Top Nephrology Practice plans a 3rd office in Coconut Creek
- The Leading Cause of Kidney Failure
- The Secret Revealed
- THE SQUEAKY WHEEL GETS THE TRANSPLANT
- Thoughts on RPA 2011
- TOOLS TO HELP YOU REACH YOUR GOALS
- Top Kidney Care At Best Prices
- Top Kidney Doctors Are Also The Most Affordable"
- Top Kidney Doctors Come To Coconut Creek - Parkland
- Treating BK Virus After Kidney Transplant
- Treatment of Resistant Hypertension in South Florida
- Understanding the Stages of Chronic Kidney Disease
- Understanding Your Kidneys
- UNTIL WE CONTROL DIABETES
- Update on Mary's kidney.
- Urine test for Cancer and Diabetes
- Vanessa Williams and Diabetes
- VITAMIN D: KEY TO LONGEVITY?
- Weight Loss Surgery in Pre-Transplant Patients
- What a week-4 of Dr. Gabriel Valle's patients get kidney transplants at UM in one week
- What causes blood in the urine?
- WHAT CAUSES HIGH POTASSIUM?
- What dialysis method woudl your doctor choose for himself?
- What Is Calciphylaxis and What Can Be Done About It
- WHAT IS CKD?
- What Is Metabolic Syndrome
- WHAT IS PROTEINURIA?
- What PCP's Need To Understand About Peritoneal Dialysis
- WHO GETS THE GOOD KIDNEY?
- will present her abstract of Gastric Bypass Surgery in Peritoneal Dialysis Patients in San Antonio at The Annual Dialysis Conference
- World Kidney Day-Promoting Better Kidneys
- WORLD'S FIRST ORGAN DONOR DIES AT 79
- YOU CAN PREVENT DIABETIC KIDNEY DAMAGE
- You Need a PD Catheter or AV Fistula
- Young Adults and Hypertension
- YOUR BODY KNOWS ITS PERFECT WEIGHT. LISTEN TO IT.
- YOUR KIDNEYS AND ANTIBIOTICS