Friday, May 8, 2015
Congratulations to Dr. Carlos Bejar (left) and Dr. Gabriel Valle for being named "Top Docs" in Nephrology by Castle-Connelly Medical Ltd. which is done by survey of their physician peers and local academic centers on who they would chose if they needed a doctor in that specialty-in this case-Nephrology/Hypertension. They are featured in the May-June issue of both Gold Coast magazine and Boca Life magazine. We are so proud of them! (This is the 15th consecutive nomination for both of them.) — at The Kidney & Hypertension Group.
Labels: Dr. Gabriel Valle and Dr. Carlos Bejar Named Top Doctors in Nephrology and Hypertension for 15th year in a Row
Thursday, May 7, 2015
Move Naturally The world’s longest-lived people don’t pump iron or run marathons. Instead, their environments nudge them into moving without thinking about it. Purpose Why do you wake up in the morning? Knowing your sense of purpose is worth up to seven years of extra life expectancy. Down Shift Stress leads to chronic inflammation, associated with every major age-related disease. The world’s longest-lived people have routines to shed that stress. 80% Rule “Hara hachi bu” – the Okinawans say this mantra before meals as a reminder to stop eating when their stomachs are 80 percent full. Plant Slant The cornerstone of most centenarian diets? Beans. They typically eat meat—mostly pork—only five times per month. Wine @ 5 Moderate drinkers outlive non-drinkers, especially if they share those drinks with friends. Belong Attending faith-based services four times per month – no matter the denomination – adds up to 14 years of life expectancy. Loved Ones First Centenarians put their families first. They keep aging parents and grandparents nearby, commit to a life partner and invest in their children. Right Tribe The world’s longest lived people chose or were born into social circles that support healthy behaviors. For more information, read our Power 9 blog. (Blue Zone)
Sunday, April 26, 2015
Thursday, April 23, 2015
From the Journal of Renal Nutrition comes this important article about controlling phosphorus.Objective Hyperphosphatemia is common in end-stage renal disease and associates with mortality. Phosphate binders reduce serum phosphorus levels; however, adherence is often poor. This pilot study aims to assess patients' self-motivation to adhere to phosphate binders, its association with phosphorus control, and potential differences by race. Design and Methods Cross sectional design. Subjects were enrolled from one academic medical center dialysis practice from July to November 2012. Self-motivation to adhere to phosphate binders was assessed with the autonomous regulation (AR) scale (range: 1-7) and self-reported medication adherence with the Morisky Medication Adherence Scale. Linear regression models adjusting for age, sex, health literacy, and medication adherence were applied to determine associations with serum phosphorus level, including any evidence of interaction by race.
Wednesday, April 15, 2015
Diabetes is the leading cause of kidney failure.
Sunday, April 12, 2015
A new study shows that eating out can lead to higher blood pressure. Researchers from Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School Singapore surveyed 501 adults between the ages of 18 and 40. They collected data on the adults' blood pressure, body mass index, and lifestyle — including how much they work out and how often they eat meals from restaurants. Researchers found that of the 501 participants, nearly 28 percent of them had pre-hypertension, or "slightly elevated blood pressure" levels. Those with pre-hypertension are at a "very high risk" for hypertension which is "the leading risk factor for death associated with cardiovascular disease." Of the 28 percent that had pre-hypertension, 38 percent ate more than 12 meals from restaurants per week.
Wednesday, March 25, 2015
- Around 31 million Americans have chronic kidney disease. For patients with irreversible kidney problems, dialysis is a life-saving therapy. But it's also a tough treatment that requires a lot of time. Now, an artificial kidney may offer patients more freedom. Toby Munoz Jr. sits in a chair, three times a week for up to five long hours at a time. Munoz Jr. told Ivanhoe, “And it just drives me up the wall. I'm not a sit down person; I can barely make it through a movie at a theatre.” Toby needs dialysis to do the work of his failing kidneys. But the treatments have taken over his life, even forcing him to quit his job. Victor Gura, M.D., FASN, Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine of The Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA told Ivanhoe, “The quality of life of dialysis patients leaves a lot to be desired.”
Causes of High Potassium High levels of potassium in blood cause a condition known as hyperkalemia. A kidney disorder is the major cause of...
LETTERS Kidney Warning (1 Letter) Published: August 13, 2012 To the Editor: Re “Transplant Centers Struggle With Donors’ Obesity” (Aug...
April is National Donate Life Month, and if you're thinking about donating a kidney, now would be the time to find out what it's all...
DR. GABRIEL VALLE CHOSEN TO EXCLUSIVE "BEST DOCTORS" PANEL OFFERING PATIENTS AROUND THE WORLD VIDEO ACCESS, ALONG WITH THEIR OWN DOCTORS, TO THE COUNTRY'S BEST IN THEIR FIELDS.THE KIDNEY GROUP'S DR. GABRIEL VALLE HAS BEEN CHOSEN AGAIN TO "BEST DOCTORS" WHICH IS A WORLD CLASS PANEL OF EXPERTS, CHOSEN B...
UCSF unveils model for implantable artificial kidney to replace dialysis UCSF researchers today unveiled a prototype model of the first i...
Several patients have called, alarmed with news reports that patients with #kidney stones face a higher incidence of end stage renal disease...
You can't have a healthy heart without healthy blood pressure, so see your doctor or health-care professional for a reading. An accurate...
There's a dangerous health problem on the rise in the United States, affecting more than 20 million adults—25 percent more than a decade...
Elizabeth Perkins Biography Claim to Fame: Actress DOB: November 18, 1960 Diabetes Type: 1 Quote: “I’m actually a happier person than ...
The Kidney Group wishes Dr. Gabriel Valle's daughter, Genevieve, all the best in her bid to be UM Law School's next Student Bar Asso...
- "Kindest Cut" New Yorker 2009
- 10 TIPS FOR A HEALTHY BLOOD PRESSURE
- A Heartfelt Thank You
- AJKD ARTICLE ON HYPERTENSION IN DIALYSIS PATIENTS
- ALL ABOUT CKD
- All About Potassium
- An Inspiration to Patients Awaiting Transplant
- Barbara Kissane Valle
- Becoming An Organ Donor Impacts Many Lives
- Being on multiple transplant lists makes sense
- BEJAR IPMC MVP CANDIDATE
- Captain Ladino sent to Kosovo
- CARLOS BEJAR M.D. OF THE KIDNEY GROUP DISCUSSES PREVENTING DIABETIC KIDNEY DISEASE
- CDC Answers Questions on Ebola Safety
- Charlie debuts at the Kidney Group
- Cheetos lip balm curbing cravings?
- Common High Potassium Foods
- Control your Blood Pressure Naturally
- Cranberry juice and UTI
- DANGERS OF VARIABLE BP
- David Kessler's book on" Junk Food Epidemic"
- DEATH OF DR. ROBERT GERONEMUS LEAVES VOID
- DEATH OF THOMAS HERRION RAISING QUESTIONS
- DEFINING HEMATURIA
- DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES TACKLES ESRD
- Determining Your Ideal Weight
- DIABETES MANAGEMENT IS KEY
- DIABETES MYTH #1
- Diabetes Tsunami
- Dialysis Catheters Increase Risk of Death
- dIALYSIS PATIENT STILL RACING HORSES
- DID CELEBRITY GET NATALIE COLE HER QUICK KIDNEY?
- DIET CAN LOWER YOUR RISK OF DIABETES
- DR OZ ON KIDNEY DISEASE
- Dr. Bejar's new puppy
- Dr. Carlos Bejar
- Dr. Elio Torres is The Kidney and Hypertension Group of South Florida's Kidney Transplant Specialist
- Dr. Gabriel Valle and Dr. Carlos Bejar named Best Kidney Doctors in Palm Beach County
- Dr. Gabriel Valle and Dr. Carlos Bejar Named Top Doctors in Nephrology and Hypertension for 15th year in a Row
- DR. GABRIEL VALLE CHOSEN "BEST DOCTOR" AGAIN FOR 2011.
- DR. GABRIEL VALLE DISCUSSES FUTURE HOPE IN CKD
- Dr. Gabriel Valle has first patient accepted into Paired Donor Program at UM
- DR. GABRIEL VALLE NAMED TOP NEPHROLOGIST BY BOCA LIFE MAGAZINE
- Dr. Jorge Ajuria is now a Fellow of the American Society of Nephrology
- Dr. Marco Ladino joins KidneyWorld Editorial Board
- ELEVATED BLOOD PRESSURE LEADING CAUSE OF EARLY DEATH
- EXPANDED DONOR CHOICES
- Expert Care
- FACE IT-WE'RE FAT
- Facebook for Kidney patients en Espanol
- FERNANDA'S OWNER HAS KIDNEY TRANSPLANT
- FIGURE OUT YOUR KIDNEY RISK
- Follow the most popular Kidney Medicine practice on Facebook
- Fort Lauderdale's Kidney Group leads state in # of kidney transplants
- FRIEND DONATES KIDNEY TO LOCAL WOMAN
- Genevieve Valle elected University of Miami Law School Vice President
- Genevieve Valle hopes to be University of Miami Law School Vice President
- GEORGE LOPEZ TRANSPLANT PART OF A GROWING TREND
- He Got the Kidney
- High Potassium
- HISTORY OF CANCER DOES N'T PRECLUDE TRANSPLANT
- HOME DIALYSIS OPTIONS
- How Does The Kidney & Hypertension Group Transplant So Many Patients?
- How To Prevent Kidney Stones
- IMPC MVP
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON PHOSPHORUS
- Infertility and Hypertension Link
- INSIDER TIPS ON GETTING A KIDNEY TRANSPLANT
- Insiders Tips on Getting a Kidney Transplant
- Juliette Valle Is Young Bonnie in Slow Burn's Musical Bonnie and Clyde
- Juliette Valle to star in PPTOPA's "Secret Garden"
- Juliette Valle wins role of 'Mary Lennox' in PPTOPA's musical production of "The Secret Garden" .
- KEEP YOUR KIDNEYS WORKING WELL
- Keep Your Potassium In The Normal Range With These Tips
- Kidney & Hypertension Group In Fort Lauderdale Voted Florida's Best Again
- Kidney and Hypertension Group has Florida's top Home Dialysis Program
- KIDNEY COSTS WILL CONTINUE TO SOAR
- KIDNEY DIVORCE WAR HEATS UP
- Kidney Docs Tell You 3 Easy Ways To PREVENT Kidney Stones
- Kidney Doctors Offer Same Dat Appointment
- KIDNEY GROUP DEBATES KIDNEY RATIONING
- KIDNEY GROUP KIDNEY-PANCREAS PATIENT WINS OLYMPIC GOLD
- KIDNEY GROUP PATIENT WINS GOLD AT TRANSPLANT OLYMPICS
- KIDNEY TRANSPLANT:THE KINDNESS OF STRANGERS
- Learn how to keep your kidneys healthy for life
- LETS TALK ABOUT A KIDNEY TRANSPLANT
- Lipid Management In Kidney Disease-New Guidelines
- Living Successfully With HIV and Kidney Disease
- LIVING WITH POLYCYSTIC KIDNEY DISEASE IN 2008
- LOOKING OUT FOR KIDNEY PATIENTS IN THE PANDEMIC THREAT
- Love is good for you
- LOWER YOUR BLOOD PRESSSURE WITHOUT DRUGS
- MAKE YOUR OWN LUCK IN GETTING A TRANSPLANT
- Marco Ladino of The Kidney Group in Fort Lauderdale wins award from Florida Society of Nephrology
- Minimize Your Radiation Exposure During Pre Transplant Workup
- More Kidney Transplant Success Stories at The Kidney and Hypertension Group of South Florida
- NEPHROLOGIST GIVES KIDNEY TO WIFE
- Never mind your sign..what's your BUN?
- NO CLENCHED FISTS
- NOBODY KEEPS BABY IN A CHAIR
- Number 1 of the 6 Phases of Successful Weight Loss
- Our first kidney transplant of 2012
- PATIENTS CAN PREVENT MED ERRORS
- Peritoneal Dialysi patient loses 90 lbs in 6 weeks
- PERITONEAL DIALYSIS MAKES SENSE FOR MANY KIDNEY FAILURE PATIENTS
- Plans for Artificial Kidney Unveiled
- PPTOPA "Secret Garden" and Juliette Valle a hit
- PREDICTING ODDS OF TRANSPLANT SUCCESS
- PREGNANCY IN CHRONIC KIDNEY DISEASE-A REVIEW
- Preserving Residual Renal Function In Dialysis Patients
- PREVENTING DIABETES
- PREVENTING FALSELY ELEVATED POTASSIUM LEVELS
- Prevention Of Kidney Disease Through Drinking More Water-A Study
- Professor Gabriel Valle Greets His Students
- Quality in Dialysis
- Rapid Response Clinic at the Kidney and Hypertension Group decreases hospital admissions and ER visits
- reachs pre-transplant weight goal
- RESTLESS LEGS SYNDROME
- Seeing a Nephrologist Early in The Course Of Kidney Disease Improves Outcomes
- SHALL WE ?
- SODIUM BICARB UPDATE FROM JASN
- STOP HYPERTENSION BEFORE IT STOPS YOU
- Stop today and think about your kidneys
- Taking A Correct Home Blood Pressure Reading
- Tenofovir Use and the Kidney
- THE FIRST TRANSPLANT-A BRAVE TWIN BROTHER DONATES
- The Health Ranger speaks out on Vitamin D
- The Kidney And Hypertension Group Now Offers Same Day Appointments For Urgent Care
- The Kidney Group Again Named Best Nephrologists in Broward County
- THE KIDNEY GROUP OF SOUTH FLORIDAS DOCTORS ALL CHOSEN AS TOP PHYSICIANS
- The Kidney Group-Florida's Top Nephrology Practice plans a 3rd office in Coconut Creek
- The Leading Cause of Kidney Failure
- The Secret Revealed
- THE SQUEAKY WHEEL GETS THE TRANSPLANT
- Thoughts on RPA 2011
- TOOLS TO HELP YOU REACH YOUR GOALS
- Top Kidney Doctors Come To Coconut Creek - Parkland
- Treatment of Resistant Hypertension in South Florida
- Understanding the Stages of Chronic Kidney Disease
- UNTIL WE CONTROL DIABETES
- Update on Mary's kidney.
- Vanessa Williams and Diabetes
- VITAMIN D: KEY TO LONGEVITY?
- Weight Loss Surgery in Pre-Transplant Patients
- What a week-4 of Dr. Gabriel Valle's patients get kidney transplants at UM in one week
- What causes blood in the urine?
- WHAT CAUSES HIGH POTASSIUM?
- What dialysis method woudl your doctor choose for himself?
- WHAT IS CKD?
- What Is Metabolic Syndrome
- WHAT IS PROTEINURIA?
- What PCP's Need To Understand About Peritoneal Dialysis
- WHO GETS THE GOOD KIDNEY?
- will present her abstract of Gastric Bypass Surgery in Peritoneal Dialysis Patients in San Antonio at The Annual Dialysis Conference
- World Kidney Day-Promoting Better Kidneys
- WORLD'S FIRST ORGAN DONOR DIES AT 79
- YOU CAN PREVENT DIABETIC KIDNEY DAMAGE
- You Need a PD Catheter or AV Fistula
- Young Adults and Hypertension
- YOUR BODY KNOWS ITS PERFECT WEIGHT. LISTEN TO IT.
- YOUR KIDNEYS AND ANTIBIOTICS