Saturday, November 15, 2014
< Kidney & Hypertension Group know we are big on preserving your residual renal function. (urine output) We choose PD when we can, and work in other ways to protect the kidney function that remains. That topic was covered at the ASN meeting this week. In this recap, it does not mention (but hopefully covered) the importance of continued vigilance in protecting the kidney from nephrotoxic substances-either medication or from diagnostic tests when you are on dialysis. In particular, we have found extreme vigilance is needed in guiding our patients through the rigors of transplant workup (ie radio-contrast studies), and guarding against loss of RRF there. Like the article says, every drop of urine promotes your well being on dialysis, particularly as you wait for a kidney transplant. As for medication, if you had to avoid it pre-dialysis, chances are you need to avoid it on dialysis. One example is anti-inflammatory medication, either over the counter, or prescribed. When taking antibiotics, your nephrologist will consider the proper dose for you, often in conjunction with the prescribing physician. Because today's medicine means your own doctor may not be treating you in the hospital, we find education of the patient on preserving his or her renal function from day one goes a long way to making sure the patient is their own advocate in situations where guarding renal function may not be given full consideration by the medical team. http://ajkdblog.org/2014/11/14/kidney-week-2014-preserving-residual-kidney-function-in-esrd/
Friday, November 14, 2014
HealthDay News) — Only about one in two young American adults with hypertension receive advice from a doctor on lifestyle changes, according to a study published online November 6 in the Journal of General Internal Medicine. For the study, the investigators looked at lifestyle counseling rates among 500 young adults with hypertension being treated at a large Midwestern academic practice. The researchers found that only 55% of the patients received lifestyle education within one year of being diagnosed with hypertension. The most common topic was exercise, followed by advice on quitting smoking. Only 25% were counseled on how to lower their blood pressure by changing their diet. Those most likely to receive lifestyle counseling included women, patients who made regular visits to the doctor to manage long-term health problems, those previously diagnosed with hyperlipidemia, and people with a family history of hypertension or heart disease. The findings show that doctors are missing far too many "teachable moments" to advise young adults with hypertension about lifestyle changes, study author Heather Johnson, MD, of the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health in Madison, said in a journal news release.
Follow us on Facebook for all of your updates on kidney medicine, diabetes, hypertension, lupus and much more, with commentary by your 6 favorite nephrologists! https://www.facebook.com/KidneyDocs
Thursday, November 13, 2014
Tuesday, November 11, 2014
You can trust us for your Spanish language information on what is new in the world of Kidney Medicine, Diabetes, and Hypertension. Follow us at-https://www.facebook.com/GrupoDeRinon. We now have 1200 followers for our Spanish page making us the fastest growing Spanish language Kidney practice on Facebook!
Thursday, October 30, 2014
Causes of High Potassium High levels of potassium in blood cause a condition known as hyperkalemia. A kidney disorder is the major cause of...
LETTERS Kidney Warning (1 Letter) Published: August 13, 2012 To the Editor: Re “Transplant Centers Struggle With Donors’ Obesity” (Aug...
DR. GABRIEL VALLE CHOSEN TO EXCLUSIVE "BEST DOCTORS" PANEL OFFERING PATIENTS AROUND THE WORLD VIDEO ACCESS, ALONG WITH THEIR OWN DOCTORS, TO THE COUNTRY'S BEST IN THEIR FIELDS.THE KIDNEY GROUP'S DR. GABRIEL VALLE HAS BEEN CHOSEN AGAIN TO "BEST DOCTORS" WHICH IS A WORLD CLASS PANEL OF EXPERTS, CHOSEN B...
UCSF unveils model for implantable artificial kidney to replace dialysis UCSF researchers today unveiled a prototype model of the first i...
April is National Donate Life Month, and if you're thinking about donating a kidney, now would be the time to find out what it's all...
You can't have a healthy heart without healthy blood pressure, so see your doctor or health-care professional for a reading. An accurate...
Several patients have called, alarmed with news reports that patients with #kidney stones face a higher incidence of end stage renal disease...
There's a dangerous health problem on the rise in the United States, affecting more than 20 million adults—25 percent more than a decade...
The Kidney Group wishes Dr. Gabriel Valle's daughter, Genevieve, all the best in her bid to be UM Law School's next Student Bar Asso...
Even in a practice like the Kidney Group that does so many transplants, 4 in one week-and all at University of Miami, and all four Dr. Vall...
- "Kindest Cut" New Yorker 2009
- 10 TIPS FOR A HEALTHY BLOOD PRESSURE
- A Heartfelt Thank You
- AJKD ARTICLE ON HYPERTENSION IN DIALYSIS PATIENTS
- ALL ABOUT CKD
- All About Potassium
- An Inspiration to Patients Awaiting Transplant
- Barbara Kissane Valle
- Being on multiple transplant lists makes sense
- BEJAR IPMC MVP CANDIDATE
- Captain Ladino sent to Kosovo
- CARLOS BEJAR M.D. OF THE KIDNEY GROUP DISCUSSES PREVENTING DIABETIC KIDNEY DISEASE
- CDC Answers Questions on Ebola Safety
- Charlie debuts at the Kidney Group
- Cheetos lip balm curbing cravings?
- Common High Potassium Foods
- Control your Blood Pressure Naturally
- Cranberry juice and UTI
- DANGERS OF VARIABLE BP
- David Kessler's book on" Junk Food Epidemic"
- DEATH OF DR. ROBERT GERONEMUS LEAVES VOID
- DEATH OF THOMAS HERRION RAISING QUESTIONS
- DEFINING HEMATURIA
- DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES TACKLES ESRD
- Determining Your Ideal Weight
- DIABETES MANAGEMENT IS KEY
- DIABETES MYTH #1
- Diabetes Tsunami
- Dialysis Catheters Increase Risk of Death
- dIALYSIS PATIENT STILL RACING HORSES
- DID CELEBRITY GET NATALIE COLE HER QUICK KIDNEY?
- DIET CAN LOWER YOUR RISK OF DIABETES
- DR OZ ON KIDNEY DISEASE
- Dr. Bejar's new puppy
- Dr. Carlos Bejar
- Dr. Elio Torres is The Kidney and Hypertension Group of South Florida's Kidney Transplant Specialist
- Dr. Gabriel Valle and Dr. Carlos Bejar named Best Kidney Doctors in Palm Beach County
- DR. GABRIEL VALLE CHOSEN "BEST DOCTOR" AGAIN FOR 2011.
- DR. GABRIEL VALLE DISCUSSES FUTURE HOPE IN CKD
- Dr. Gabriel Valle has first patient accepted into Paired Donor Program at UM
- DR. GABRIEL VALLE NAMED TOP NEPHROLOGIST BY BOCA LIFE MAGAZINE
- Dr. Jorge Ajuria is now a Fellow of the American Society of Nephrology
- Dr. Marco Ladino joins KidneyWorld Editorial Board
- ELEVATED BLOOD PRESSURE LEADING CAUSE OF EARLY DEATH
- EXPANDED DONOR CHOICES
- Expert Care
- FACE IT-WE'RE FAT
- Facebook for Kidney patients en Espanol
- FERNANDA'S OWNER HAS KIDNEY TRANSPLANT
- FIGURE OUT YOUR KIDNEY RISK
- Follow the most popular Kidney Medicine practice on Facebook
- Fort Lauderdale's Kidney Group leads state in # of kidney transplants
- FRIEND DONATES KIDNEY TO LOCAL WOMAN
- Genevieve Valle elected University of Miami Law School Vice President
- Genevieve Valle hopes to be University of Miami Law School Vice President
- GEORGE LOPEZ TRANSPLANT PART OF A GROWING TREND
- He Got the Kidney
- High Potassium
- HISTORY OF CANCER DOES N'T PRECLUDE TRANSPLANT
- HOME DIALYSIS OPTIONS
- How Does The Kidney & Hypertension Group Transplant So Many Patients?
- How To Prevent Kidney Stones
- IMPC MVP
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON PHOSPHORUS
- INSIDER TIPS ON GETTING A KIDNEY TRANSPLANT
- Insiders Tips on Getting a Kidney Transplant
- Juliette Valle to star in PPTOPA's "Secret Garden"
- Juliette Valle wins role of 'Mary Lennox' in PPTOPA's musical production of "The Secret Garden" .
- KEEP YOUR KIDNEYS WORKING WELL
- Keep Your Potassium In The Normal Range With These Tips
- Kidney & Hypertension Group In Fort Lauderdale Voted Florida's Best Again
- Kidney and Hypertension Group has Florida's top Home Dialysis Program
- KIDNEY COSTS WILL CONTINUE TO SOAR
- KIDNEY DIVORCE WAR HEATS UP
- Kidney Docs Tell You 3 Easy Ways To PREVENT Kidney Stones
- Kidney Doctors Offer Same Dat Appointment
- KIDNEY GROUP DEBATES KIDNEY RATIONING
- KIDNEY GROUP KIDNEY-PANCREAS PATIENT WINS OLYMPIC GOLD
- KIDNEY GROUP PATIENT WINS GOLD AT TRANSPLANT OLYMPICS
- KIDNEY TRANSPLANT:THE KINDNESS OF STRANGERS
- Learn how to keep your kidneys healthy for life
- LETS TALK ABOUT A KIDNEY TRANSPLANT
- Lipid Management In Kidney Disease-New Guidelines
- Living Successfully With HIV and Kidney Disease
- LIVING WITH POLYCYSTIC KIDNEY DISEASE IN 2008
- LOOKING OUT FOR KIDNEY PATIENTS IN THE PANDEMIC THREAT
- Love is good for you
- LOWER YOUR BLOOD PRESSSURE WITHOUT DRUGS
- MAKE YOUR OWN LUCK IN GETTING A TRANSPLANT
- Marco Ladino of The Kidney Group in Fort Lauderdale wins award from Florida Society of Nephrology
- Minimize Your Radiation Exposure During Pre Transplant Workup
- More Kidney Transplant Success Stories at The Kidney and Hypertension Group of South Florida
- NEPHROLOGIST GIVES KIDNEY TO WIFE
- Never mind your sign..what's your BUN?
- NO CLENCHED FISTS
- NOBODY KEEPS BABY IN A CHAIR
- Number 1 of the 6 Phases of Successful Weight Loss
- Our first kidney transplant of 2012
- PATIENTS CAN PREVENT MED ERRORS
- Peritoneal Dialysi patient loses 90 lbs in 6 weeks
- PERITONEAL DIALYSIS MAKES SENSE FOR MANY KIDNEY FAILURE PATIENTS
- Plans for Artificial Kidney Unveiled
- PPTOPA "Secret Garden" and Juliette Valle a hit
- PREDICTING ODDS OF TRANSPLANT SUCCESS
- PREGNANCY IN CHRONIC KIDNEY DISEASE-A REVIEW
- Preserving Residual Renal Function In Dialysis Patients
- PREVENTING DIABETES
- PREVENTING FALSELY ELEVATED POTASSIUM LEVELS
- Prevention Of Kidney Disease Through Drinking More Water-A Study
- Professor Gabriel Valle Greets His Students
- Quality in Dialysis
- reachs pre-transplant weight goal
- RESTLESS LEGS SYNDROME
- Seeing a Nephrologist Early in The Course Of Kidney Disease Improves Outcomes
- SHALL WE ?
- SODIUM BICARB UPDATE FROM JASN
- STOP HYPERTENSION BEFORE IT STOPS YOU
- Stop today and think about your kidneys
- Taking A Correct Home Blood Pressure Reading
- Tenofovir Use and the Kidney
- THE FIRST TRANSPLANT-A BRAVE TWIN BROTHER DONATES
- The Health Ranger speaks out on Vitamin D
- The Kidney And Hypertension Group Now Offers Same Day Appointments For Urgent Care
- The Kidney Group Again Named Best Nephrologists in Broward County
- THE KIDNEY GROUP OF SOUTH FLORIDAS DOCTORS ALL CHOSEN AS TOP PHYSICIANS
- The Kidney Group-Florida's Top Nephrology Practice plans a 3rd office in Coconut Creek
- The Secret Revealed
- THE SQUEAKY WHEEL GETS THE TRANSPLANT
- Thoughts on RPA 2011
- TOOLS TO HELP YOU REACH YOUR GOALS
- Top Kidney Doctors Come To Coconut Creek - Parkland
- Treatment of Resistant Hypertension in South Florida
- Understanding the Stages of Chronic Kidney Disease
- UNTIL WE CONTROL DIABETES
- Update on Mary's kidney.
- Vanessa Williams and Diabetes
- VITAMIN D: KEY TO LONGEVITY?
- Weight Loss Surgery in Pre-Transplant Patients
- What a week-4 of Dr. Gabriel Valle's patients get kidney transplants at UM in one week
- What causes blood in the urine?
- WHAT CAUSES HIGH POTASSIUM?
- What dialysis method woudl your doctor choose for himself?
- WHAT IS CKD?
- What Is Metabolic Syndrome
- WHAT IS PROTEINURIA?
- What PCP's Need To Understand About Peritoneal Dialysis
- WHO GETS THE GOOD KIDNEY?
- will present her abstract of Gastric Bypass Surgery in Peritoneal Dialysis Patients in San Antonio at The Annual Dialysis Conference
- World Kidney Day-Promoting Better Kidneys
- WORLD'S FIRST ORGAN DONOR DIES AT 79
- YOU CAN PREVENT DIABETIC KIDNEY DAMAGE
- You Need a PD Catheter or AV Fistula
- Young Adults and Hypertension
- YOUR BODY KNOWS ITS PERFECT WEIGHT. LISTEN TO IT.
- YOUR KIDNEYS AND ANTIBIOTICS